I realized when spring rolls around I get this insatiable craving for fruit and citrus. I finally put away my pumpkin obsession and dust off my zester and pitter. My favorites fruits are strawberries and cherries. Ahhhh, so delicious. And then there is lemon which just screams summer to me. And cherries are just something special. I love going to the farmer's market and stopping at every booth and grabbing a cherry.
But it doesn't stop with just strawberries, lemon and cherries. There is also rhubarb! Rhubarb paired with strawberries - now there is dynamic duo. Gosh, I guess I just really just love fruit desserts. Sorry chocolate die-hards; this is who I am.
You can do so much with fruit like make crisps, crumbles, bars, cakes -- I sound like Bubba in Forrest Gump when he talked about shrimp.
And let's not forget bananas. Bananas are great and I feel like they are a good year around fruit - so versatile, so delicious.
So with all the build up on fruit, I bring you another Baker's Corner which happens to be all fruit goodies (minus one, which is veggie)!
I discovered some lovely fruit desserts so far this year. I really can't pick a favorite. For instance, when I ate the cinnamon swirl banana crumb cake, I wanted to shove it all in my mouth like Cookie Monster does here. But the same could be said of all these goodies. Here's the line-up:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bar (Top Middle) - The dynamic duo - you just can't beat this combination. These make the best dessert, snack, and heck even breakfast.
- Buttermilk Banana Bread (Top Right) - I wanted to try a different banana bread than my usual. Buttermilk tends to make goodies nice and tender. This was awesome.
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Crumb Cake (Middle Left) - I love these types of crumb cakes with the center swirl and crumbly goodness on top. I gobbled these down like nobody's business. And yes, I ate it for breakfast.
- Cherry Pie Bars (Middle Right) - This was more like a cherry lemon bar. That there says it all.
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies (Bottom Left) - These were our Easter treat. I added these in because...well, why not?! They were a hit at Easter.
- Classic Lemon Bars (Bottom Middle) - This was my first successful lemon bar. I was so proud. The last time was many, many years ago. I think I used a Cooking Light recipe. Use butter my friends, it's worth it.
- Banana Bars wiith Brown Butter Icing (Not Pictured) - I think I ate these all before I realized I didn't get a photo. Oops! But brown butter...trust me, delicious.